Dulwich/Rose Park United
The Grove (Woodville Gardens)
Uniting Church Royal Park
MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING
Memorandum of Understanding
Between The Community Outreach Mission Network
And The Presbytery of South Australia, Uniting Church in Australia
PURPOSE OF THE MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING
This Memorandum of Understanding provides the statement of missional focus and common ethos for the Community Outreach Mission Network within the Presbytery of South Australia. The Memorandum is agreed to by the congregations of the Community Outreach Mission Network and the Presbytery of South Australia.
This Memorandum of Understanding is subject to the Basis of Union, Constitution and Regulations of the Uniting Church in Australia, by-laws of the Synod of South Australia and rules of Presbytery of South Australia. Nothing within this Memorandum of Understanding is to be read in any way which is inconsistent with these documents.
DESCRIPTION OF THE MISSION NETWORK
The Community Outreach Mission Network will have the following emphases:
Mission Focus –
The mission focus of the Community Outreach Mission Network is to call and encourage member congregations to express Christ’s love for the world.
To this end the Network will assist member congregations to:
- develop their abilities to discern human needs within their local communities,
- enhance the life of their local communities by meeting human need through relevant and practical outreach
- discern the presence of Christ who is already at work in their communities, and
- develop their abilities to share the Gospel of Christ’s love.
Through sharing stories, experiences, ideas and skills:
- Celebrate what God is doing in the community outreach of the congregations
- Encourage growing together in relationship
- Honour the particularities of, and within, each congregation, acknowledging our rich diversities
- Grow a spirituality that connects faith and work in community.
Theological Outlook –
God is at work in the world, and by Christ-led, Spirit empowered actions, invites the church to share in that work of God’s kingdom.
The Community Outreach Mission Network will encourage the participant congregations to discern God’s concerns in their particular community settings and to connect more effectively with their communities through:
- Learning from one another
- discovering and affirming what is working well
- determining what could be applied to different contexts
- developing community outreach skills
- accessing and growing resources.
The Community Outreach Mission Network will also encourage the participant congregations to offer pastoral support and encouragement to one another.
The Community Outreach Mission Network will elect a Key Liaison Person and a Placements Committee / Pastoral Relations Committee representative and will determine other positions if and as felt necessary.
The Community Outreach Network will consist of the Uniting Church congregations and faith communities listed in the attached appendix.
Contributions from the Community Outreach Mission Network
The Community Outreach Mission Network undertakes to support the mission of the wider church and particularly those congregations within the Community Outreach Mission Network in accordance with the by-laws of the Synod of South Australia and any Presbytery Rules relating to mission Networks.
The Community Outreach Mission Network will make the following specific contributions to the mission of the wider church:
- Encourage the development of faith communities that engage in mission in the community for the sake of the community itself
- Support and encourage the relationship of UnitingCare, community service agencies, and congregations of the Uniting Church
- Offer major learning events to the whole Presbytery/Synod Mission Network.
Contributions to the Community Outreach Mission Network
The member Congregations of the Community Outreach Mission Network are requested, after meeting their commitment to the Mission and Service Fund, to contribute up to 5% of their income to the network.
On behalf of the Community Outreach Mission Network
on behalf of the Presbytery of South Australia
MEET THE TEAM
Rev Rebecca Purling
Rev David Prior
Rev Douglas Monaghan
Rev Mark Hewitt
Pastor Brian Dunstan
Pastoral Team Leader & Network Representative on the Synod/Presbytery Placements Committee and Pastoral Care Committee